Sheephouse Manor is a family run business
As a family, we care a lot about the natural world and the effects that climate change is bringing.
We are working to reduce our carbon footprint and to support the preservation of the natural world.
We currently hold memberships and endorse the work of the following local organisations:
Use Less Plastic Whilst in Your Cottage/Room
- Refillable drinking bottles are available to use in our cottages and West Wing kitchen. Our tap water is perfectly safe to drink.
- We can lend you bags for life for your shopping = fewer plastic bags and wasted plastic. Instead of using clingfilm, there are washable and refillable containers with lids to use in each cottage.
- The Nespresso capsules in rooms can be recycled - please place used ones in a plastic or separate compostable bag left in the kitchen at the end of the stay, and we will endeavour to recycle them.
Buy Locally and at Independents
Here are a selection of our favourite shops:
The Maidenhead Produce Market is on the high street every Thursday, Friday and Saturday.
Pick your own fruit and veg at Copas Farm, Lower Mount Farm, SL6 9RF. Call 01628 529511 for more information and seasonal opening times.
Use the Car Less
We have adult bicycles, helmets and padlocks to borrow free of charge. Think of the fitness benefits too. There are a range of great cycle paths on the river, and plenty of road cycling nearby. See our Local Attractions page for more ideas.
Take the Local Bus
Take the No. 8 from just outside to the town centre/train station – it runs hourly from 7:00am to 6:30pm (turn left and it’s 100m on other side of the road). Or, enjoy a healthy walk; there are local maps available in the cottages.
Take the Train
The local station Maidenhead is 20-40 minutes to Central London. An Off-Peak Day Return Travelcard ticket includes all underground and buses and costs £13.20. Bargain. Return any time up till 4:30am the next morning!
There are good links by ferry, train and bus when planning your journey. If going to other locations, try travelling via Reading Station rather than London for cheaper options.
Waste Less Food
- Waste food can be wrapped in newspaper and put in the black food waste bin by the back door of the main house.
- Salad leaves, sweet corn, waste seeds and summer berries can be left by back door too for my chickens, but I prefer that you do not feed them yourselves please.
- Try to buy for the amount of food you are likely to use.
- We have a wormery, which turns our vegetable food waste into compost and put on the garden.
Clean Conscious of the Environment
Eco Friendly Cleaning
- We supply you with microfiber washable cleaning cloths, which can minimise use of paper towels.
- Our washing up, shampoo and hand wash containers are refillable. We use fair trade, eco-friendly and animal cruelty free products whenever we can in the beverages and cleaning products. We have even made our own safe and effective cleaning products!
- We have been experimenting with obtaining our cleaning products as dissolvable pods in refillable bottles from OceanSaver Pods. These are wipeable.
- Our loo rolls are made from recycled paper.
In the laundry is a Guppy Friend washing bag, which helps prevent micro fibres from synthetic clothing from entering the water. Please half fill the Guppy bag with your synthetic clothes, zip up, and put into washing machine along with normal wash. Do not use in dryer. Look for the information sheet in our laundry room.
Electric & Gas
- So we can conserve energy, please use all options available.
- In winter please shut the windows and doors and pull the curtains to conserve heat.
- If you are too hot, turn radiators down rather than open windows and doors.
- Turn off appliances when not needed, e.g., electric heaters, fans, and computers.